These Fruit, Oat and Nut bars have a bit of a generic name…I know…so uncreative! But, this way, you can make them be Strawberry Almond Bars or Blueberry Pecan Bars or Peach and Walnut Bars…you get the idea. This is a flexible recipe that you can make just the way your family would enjoy them. Just follow the amounts listed below and you can go wild! 🙂
So, yesterday I decided to make a little treat for our family (don’t worry Joseph, yours are coming with us tonight when we visit you at school!). I did want it to be yummy, but also, to have some health benefits. I always appreciate a recipe that has both! Thus, the Fruit, Oat and Nut bars were born. Ours were a mix of some Apricot, Oat and Almond Bars and Raspberry, Oat and Almond Bars. Both sides were a hit. 🙂
Here is what I did:
First, gather your ingredients.
2 cups flour
2 cups oats
1 cup cold butter
12 ounces all fruit jam (I used ½ apricot and ½ berry)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup Nuts (I used slivered almonds)
1 teaspoon baking powder
Next, some simple instructions.
1. Butter dish or spray with cooking spray so these delicious bars don’t stick.
2. Press half of flour/oat/nut mixture into your buttered/sprayed pan.
3. Top with jam, spreading it evenly across the bottom layer. You can use whatever flavor you like or even use two different flavors.
4. Top with remaining oat/flour/nut mixture and drizzle with 1/4 cup of melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Cool before cutting so the bars hold their shape.
7. Eat with a nice, cold, glass of milk. 🙂